The 20th annual Art on the Square featured talented artists, large crowds and hot weather this weekend.
More than 100 artists descended on downtown Belleville for the annual event that included works in ceramics, glass, mixed media, painting, drawing/printmaking, sculpture, jewelry, fine craft, digital/graphic design, photography and wood.
Carol Bartle, co-director of Art on the Square along with Stephanie Dorris, was thrilled with the weekend’s festivities.
“Everything has gone great,” Bartle said Sunday afternoon. “The artists are happy. The people coming to buy the art are happy. So everyone is happy.”
Bartle also noted the impressive artwork.
“We have fabulous art,” she said. “It’s just incredible the array of art that we have. I’ve talked to about a dozen people walking down the street and they are blown away by the quality of the art here.”
Finally, Bartle explained Art on the Square is more than just an art show, it’s a showcase for downtown Belleville and an economic driver.
“There’s been a steady flow of customers,” she said. “You look down East Main Street, people are walking down the streets and going into restaurants which is what we want to do.”
Here is a list of this year’s winners and their prizes:
2022 Artist Awards Art on the Square
- Best of Show: Taylor Mazer (Drawing/Printmaking), $4,000 & invitation
- Healing Arts Award: David Mayhew (Photography), $3,000
- Joan Voss Renner: Luis Gonzalex (Wood), $2,000 & invitation
- Ed & Helen Karasek: Laura Lebeda (Drawing/Printmaking), $1,800 & invitation
- Mayor’s Choice: Tony Cray (Glass), $1,000
- Barb King Jewelry: Roxy Lentz (Jewelry), $500
Best of Category, $1,500
- Ceramics: William Kidd
- Digital/Graphic Design: Michael Brown
- Drawing/Printmaking: Steve Nowatzki
- Fine Craft: Bozenna & Lukasz Bogucki
- Glass: William Ortman
- Jewelry: E. Douglas Wunder
- Mixed Media: Prince Duncan-Williams
- Painting: Shawn Cornell
- Photography: Chris & Katie Robleski
- Sculpture: Thomas Wargin
- Wood: John Mascoll
Award of Excellence, $500
(not specific to category)
- Photography: Timm Chapman
- Painting: Rey D’Alfonso
- Jewelry: Pam Fox
- Photography: Russell Grace & Angela Kullman
- Ceramics: William Kidd
- Painting: Gabriel Lehman
- Painting: Bruce Peeso
- Painting: Jon Smith
More about Art on the Square
Art on the Square is an annual juried art show in downtown Belleville. Artists from all over the country display and sell their work from white tents that surround the fountain and line Main Street. The three-day, festival-like atmosphere also includes food and drink vendors, musical entertainment and children’s activities.
Art on the Square has been held every year since 2002, except for 2020, when it was canceled due to COVID-19. The pandemic also led organizers to move it from May to October in 2021.
This story was originally published May 15, 2022 1:45 PM.