In today’s art podcast we are talking to Carmel Jenkin. Carmel is a figurative artist from Melbourne Australia who specialises in the female form. We both came across Carmel at around the same time but on different social media platforms. We were immediate fans. Her paintings are incredibly beautiful and unique.
In this interview, Carmel talks honestly about how her art over the years has reflected her connection to her own body. Not only is Carmel a prolific artist but she is incredibly good at creating interesting and engaging content across social media. So as you can imagine we have a huge amount to talk about today. This is an interview you won’t want to miss.
Some of the questions we asked Carmel
- First of all, can you tell us where your journey in to art began?
- Did you go to art school?
- What drew you to concentrate on female figures in particular?
- Were your figures always abstract? How did you find your style
- Do you attend life drawing classes for inspiration and reference?
- Where else do you find your inspiration?
- What’s your painting process from deciding on your subject – sketching photos etc?
- Do you ever feel that your painting is just not working? And how do you get over that hurdle?
- Do you do your art full time? If not how do you organise your time?
- Do you ever find procrastination to be a problem? How do you make yourself work even when you don’t feel like it?
- What would you say, is the best way for a novice artist to develop their own unique style?
- You are so good at Social Media. You are constantly putting out fantastic reels, posts and stories. How do you find the time to create such a stream of great content? Do you have any tips to make it easier?
- We first discovered you on Twitter as you were selling NFTs. When and how did you get into this new market to sell your art?
Connect with Carmel Jenkin
If you enjoy the podcast you can support us by buying us a coffee. We want to make a coffee froth moustache. Thank you!